Dr. Shawn Ryan will join several other panelists on Wednesday to discuss the opioid epidemic in the Cincinnati area. The Keynote speaker for Wednesday’s event will be Tom Synan, chief of police for Newtown, Ohio, and a leading regional and national advocate in the fight against the opioid crisis. Synan is a 24-year police veteran with the Newtown Police Department, serving the last 10 years as police chief and as a SWAT Team Leader. He was a founding member of the Hamilton County Heroin Coalition and has provided testimony to the U.S. Senate Homeland Security Committee about deadly synthetic opiates. Synan will provide insight into the complexity of this issue.
Presented by Delta Omega Honorary Society Gamma Rho Chapter
Master of Public Health Program in the Department of Environmental Health
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Kowalewski 301 in the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy, University of Cincinnati
Following Synan’s keynote will be a panel discussion featuring researchers, clinicians and health professionals. Schedule of events for the day are as follows:
Wednesday, April 4: Keynote and Panel discussion
9:30 a.m. – 9:55 a.m. Doors open, sign in
10 a.m. -10:10 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
• Shuk-Mei Ho, PhD, Chair of Dept. of Environmental Health
• Neil MacKinnon, PhD, Co-Chair of UC/UC Health Opioid
Task Force, Dean of UC’s Winkle College of Pharmacy
10:10 a.m. -10:55 a.m. Keynote by Tom Synan, Newtown Police Chief and a founding member of the Hamilton County Heroin Coalition.
11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Panel Discussion featuring:
- Jennifer Brown, PhD, associate professor, UC Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, Addiction Sciences Division.
- Tim Ingram, Hamilton County Health Commissioner, and adjunct instructor, Public Health.
- Michael Lyons, MD, MPH, associate professor of Emergency Medicine, and a UC Health physician.
- Jennifer Mooney, PhD, Cincinnati Health Department and affiliate professor, UC Department of Sociology.
- Shawn Ryan, MD, president and chief medical officer of BrightView.